Thursday, March 31, 2011

Maybe Best Not to Taunt the SAR gods

So I guess I’m no longer “Jones’in” for a mission. With three missions over the past three days and local rivers flooding expected to crest today, I’ve had my share of missions for the month. OK, so I was Base OL for the mission on Monday for two stranded climbers. I didn’t do any of the hard work so when the mom comes over to us and gives us all hugs after the mission, I feel a bit sheepish knowing that the three team members on my right did all of the real work.
The next mission was for a couple of lost hikers. OK, I didn’t get to this mission because I had to pick up the kids from school, but I think it counts at least to make the story sound better…
Last night was unfortunately a recovery mission from below a trestle. From a technical stand point this was reasonably interesting as we setup a steep angle raise. The raise was pretty straight forward as we set up a 3 to 1 and a belay. The raise was completed with about 4 to 5 resets and the mission completed in a few hours.
I guess I should have listened to the wisdom of my father when he would remind me to, “be careful what you wish for.”

No comments:

Post a Comment