Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jones’in for a Mission

Am I some crazed adrenaline junkie? Is my feeling self-worth or ego impacted because I’m not on the trail or is it something less complex? I’ve already been on a few missions this year, but I’ve either been Base Operations or In-Town Operations Leader (ITOL) or the mission was essentially done by the time I arrived at base. Holy cow, I don’t think I’ve been in the field yet this year! How can this have happened? Now, I’m sitting here waiting for my pager to go off, checking the batteries and making sure the thing is on. Maybe I should have them send a test page to make sure my pager is working.
I find myself in this situation every now and then, not wishing harm on anyone of course, but if someone does need help in the backcountry, well then it might as well be my pager that goes off, right? Even just a snatch and grab mission for a hiker without a flashlight would satisfy my need for a fix.
Oh Man, I feel like a dork! I just remembered I’m signed up for ITOL until Thursday. OK, SAR gods, no missions till Friday. OK?
BTW, I do realize some readers have been quite busy in the SAR business lately and I need to be careful what I wish for.

No comments:

Post a Comment