Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Prusiks!! Damn Prusiks

Earlier this year I bought a bunch of prusik cord to replace my units prusiks. Before cutting the any of the prusik cord I referred to Lipke’s (1st edition) rigging flip book for desired lengths which said cut the short to 53 inches. The lengths are also confirmed in, “On Belay.”  So I then spent much of the afternoon cutting rope for 4 different rigging kits. Our rigging kits have a set of 5 prusiks in each kit, so 20 sets in all. After tying 40 individual prusiks, my raw fingers were glad to be done.
A couple of weeks ago, during a highline training several members commented that the short prusiks were too short, barely long enough to reach in front of the Prusik Minding Pulley (PMP). With the forces of a highline, we needed to be sure we had complete prusik coverage. So, not to be stopped by too short prusiks, my team members untied some of the long prusiks to make them fit.
Long story short, I have found Lipke’s (2nd edition) rigging flip book which calls for prusik lengths for the short prusik to be 55 inches. So, now I’m cutting more prusik cord and now get to retie all 20 sets of prusiks. I guess the saying measure twice and cut once refers to rope as well as carpentry. Also helps to have the latest edition of manual. ARGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment