Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Good Article in the Jan. 2011 edition of Outside Magazine

On a recent trip to see family over the holidays I picked up the Jan. 2011 edition of Outside Magazine. I found an article called, “The Man Who Saw Too Much” about an Aspen Mountain Rescue veteran who now suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). My first thought was, Crap, I’ve been scooped since I have an article for BCR sitting on my computer for final edits written along similar lines. Then I realized that bringing PTSD to light in SAR is very important and that any information about this could help someone. Also, the Outside article mainly focuses on the Aspen Veteran and not how to begin working through various missions. Finally, the article for BCR was written by a licensed psychotherapist and think will be a useful tool.
I highly recommend reading the Outside Magazine article and will post the link when it is available on Outside Online. In SAR we see things that can have lasting impact on our psyche and we must work hard to be mindful of how we are impacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment